This recipe is provided by our very own Culinary Institute of America trained Chef. Enjoy this sweet treat on a warm summer day!!
THE BEST PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
(Natalie Mangini Stefanick)
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple ring slices, drain well and reserve juice
Maraschino cherry halves
1 cup chopped pecans
1 package yellow cake mix
2/3 cups water
2/3 cups pineapple juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour melted butter in a 13X9X2 inch pie pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly in pan. Arrange pineapple slices on the sugar mixture. Arrange the cherry halves, rounded side down, in the center of each pineapple ring. Sprinkle pecans over brown sugar and pineapple.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions, substituting some of the pineapple juice for the water in amounts listed above. Pour cake batter over fruit and sugar mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand about 5 minutes for topping to begin to set.
- Loosen cake from side of pan with a sharp knife, then turn upside-down onto a large cake platter or cookie sheet.
- If the pineapple rings stick to the pan, use a spatula to gently remove rings and any remaining topping while sugar mixture is still warm. Place gently back into position.